Tuesday, June 24, 2014

How much longer?

You embraced me in bitter cold the day I was born. On a lone December night, this lady was born in a city that never captured her heart. El Paso, you're nothing but a stranger.

I dabbled in your allure, attempting to embrace what you had to give. I basked in your fleeting love, wondering about your taste, yet I was left empty and disappointed with your lack of ambition. With your callous lover always nudging next to you, suffocating your glow, I never felt like I was truly romanced by your mountains, the scalding heat you give off each summer,  the people that speak my language, and the name that claims you're a "gateway" or "next step".

Indeed, you are a pathway towards my future. I'm gratuitous for the opportunity you gave me to be born in in a great country, but like a disenchanted lover, I must turn away. I leave you willingly, yet stubbornly wait for your to cast you spell and call for my return.

El Paso, we're strangers. How much longer until we meet again?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Begin

Even if it’s a struggle to get the words out. Begin.